Monday 28 April 2008

Music Guy

What a gorgeous day it is in the city!!! I just sent an email to my boyfriend telling him how sunny and nice it is in London. His response....."lol I cant imagine anyone in Lagos being happy about a hot sunny day, lol, wat a contrast". He got that right cause the Lagos sun nearly suffocated me a few weeks ago! Yeah I had to attend my cousins' wedding doing the whole Bridesmaid thing. It was definitely one of the most organised weddings I have ever been to so that was a big plus. Now I'm back to work and totally swamped!!! Ahh well I need to pay those bills so I best be grateful for a job.

Music Guy is one of my very old frogs from many years ago. I met Music Guy through a male family friend. I was called at the last minute whether I would like to come out clubbing. My answer was a quick Yes as I had been stuck at home with my mum the whole day and in as much as I love her I was craving going out that hot summer night. A car pulled into my driveway with 3 men and I jumped in. On our way to the club, one of the guy's stood out in the car. They were playing a CD that had been compiled by him, in fact actually song by him. At first I thought they were making it up but as the song went on I realised it was really him singing. I was blown away and wanted to ask him so many things to do with music. You see I have a passion for music, a passion so big it could at the time make or break me.

We got to the club and Music guy and I could not get enough of each other. It was as though we were friends from another life. We danced, we sat, we spoke, laughed, danced more then I got dropped off at home. We exchanged numbers and I was of cause looking forward to hearing from him. He called almost immediately as he got home and we spoke till day break and slept off. A week after he invited me to his crib and I was mentally there before I was even really there. It's amazing how excited you can get over a man! Anyway I got into his house and he had a mini recording studio thingy going on. Boyyyy was I tripped! I immediately jumped on his Mic, like a baby started fiddling on anything and everything and of cos demanded that he recorded my singing. This went on for hours never ending and I couldn't get enough of my singing lol lol. I even progressed to song writing, it just felt liberating.

I was hooked on this brother. I felt like shutting everything else down and just focusing my music energy on us. I started dreaming of making good music with him, who knows maybe he could even produce me. In reality, this brother had no money, no car, no credit cards, in short was probably surviving on Air LOLLLL. He was looking for a new job and in the meantime thought to focus his energy on music. That means everything we did had to be free. Movies were of cos free cos we watched it in his crib, eating not so free cos I will pay for it, transportation not free cos I paid, in short the only free thing we shared was Music.

Then the dreaded day came. I had been going on like a love sick rabbit obsessing over this dude and my friends were convinced I had lost my mind. They couldn't understand what this guy was doing for me. I guess I was looking for a form of escape, rebellion, young age crisis lol. So I decided to ask him straight where our friendship was leading to? He said he couldn't commit but wouldn't want to lose what we had going on. My heart broke in a million separate ways and I couldn't breathe. What can't you commit to? I mean I have overlooked the fact that you can't give me the basics and still want to be with you and yet you can't commit? Come on you know we suit each other bla bla BS. Gosh I had a lot of BS going on back then ooo. He tried his best to calm me down as I was crying uncontrollably. Before I could say "Music", dude stopped picking my calls, and at random intervals will call asking if I still wanted to carry on recording or writing music. I would say No thank you. At least I was tryna hold on to pride.

Then one sweet day, a friend of mine called me after Church, she couldn't contain herself! She was like figurella I just saw Music guy with a pregnant woman! I heard him introducing her as his fiance. I of cos told her to get off my phone that what sort of silly joke is that? I mean this is a guy that didn't look like he could feed himself talk less of 3 people (counting the baby to be). This call was barely 2 weeks after I had decided to cut him off. I immediately started digging around a bit more, contacting people that I know go to that Church. All of them said the same thing. they knew him very well as husband to this lady.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Where the Heck had she been??? I mean did she take a mini-vacation that became a prolonged one? I was just too shocked for words! I mean he had a wife to be and I had zero clue cos of what I perceived as his poor situation/ artist life style. LOL LOL what a joke even a broke guy will still play the fields. The Good News is he got a wife, found a job and then a car, in short he had found life again. Bad News is he was still hooked on me or should I say hooked on the "other me". The me that I so got rid off after being played by a broke ass! I mean we started as friends, I felt I had sacrificed a lot and I was still looking to go to the next level with him, I sure was a joker. Hmmmm fellow bloggers y'all should be real. How many of you are the Bank Account/The Money spender in your relationship? Or what you perceive to be a relationship? In short how many of you do all the spending on a man and still think you are in love?

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

my dear u wont blv i just got out of a relationship dat got my bank account crying..... i actually thot i was in love wit dis dude. d distance was a problem but i tried 2 close it up by travelling all d way to Nigeria every month. he never offered 2 pay for my flights and d loser even gave me a list of things to buy wen i was coming... and he never even gave me a thank u card in return talkless of a romantic dinner. hissssssss*

Anonymous said...

hmmm, its funny, mostly men spend on women, it hard to meet a girl that would spend on a guy, a lot of girls are stinnnngyyyyy!!! kai! they take without thinking of giving back, they even claim its their right, wats that B.I.G. / R kelly collabo song again ....'u must be used to me spending...' yeah, some guys take it to the extreme, others just smile as they watch the girl think she's playing smart with wat is considered small change (dinner, ticket to london, champagne, ptsssh! chicken feed). Some other guys go and do pass themselves and then get angry after spending so much and the girls starts to act up lol. fight go come start, while the BIG song plays in the background ......

Anonymous said...

hmmm, how many months did you travel for? and are you sure he could afford to pay for your ticket? did he refund you for the things you bought?

Figurella said...

Anon 16:12: I am truly sorry to hear that! My boyfriend pays for so much to the point that I have to remind girls that there are still Men with Principle out there! Glad u got out of it!
I pray your account will bounce back and this time round make sure you focus the spending on your self! Imagine the Frog asking u to buy things and not reimburse u after paying for oyur own ticket?!!! Hissss nonsense. Thanks for dropping by......

Anonymous said...

hmmm! who told you he didnt reimburse her? let her say so herself. she only said he would tell her to buy things for him, i am sure he wld have the decency to pay for the stuff now, abi? unless she knew his conditioned and 'SHE HERSELF INSISTED' that he shdnt pay. I want to beleive this is the case, i mean it just has to be the case ...... hmmmmm cos if not.... mennnn my sister, sorry o!!! lol

Anonymous said...

its stories like these that make u glad that one is in a good relationship.

We that are in relationships with men that are 'principled' should make sure we dnt take them for granted.

littleangel4christ said...

"Or what you perceive to be a relationship?"...dat got me laughin. Then again it's just d truth!

Keep it up!

Dreamgirl said...

Hey Y'all don't shoot me for this one, but I don't necessarily feel that a guy is principled cos he pays for stuff, whether I like someone or not I take pride in footing the bill or at least splitting it and even when he does it himself I would still have offe red, he is not my husband therefore it his not his DUTY and I don't indulge in any activity that I wud not be able to afford on my own, but sure it's great when he acts capable! My point being loving someone should not include needing them it is a decision so u can love them regardless of their situation if u r really that into them. The lost funds wud hurt when u r bitter but really if u cared u'd do it all over again!!! As for music guy don't think he was dat much of a frog at least he said he couldn't commit and being a man he probably didn't want to go into detail and depending on how many months u wasted then you might feelcheated? cos he didn't feel d need to come totally clean? Pele dear.. but on the real men tell us wat it really is, most times we ain't just listening!

P.s thanks for stopping by, ure d best..

Anonymous said...

Nah....This music guy is totally unacceptable and utterly HILARIOUS,LOL..
Even my oyinbo bf would NEVA allow me pay for anything except i insist so much he realises i'm dead serious..
Yes,we know money ain't everything but c'mon some guys really take the mick..Sometimes, out of respect for yourself & love for ur other half u pay for things in a relationship too but when u meet people like music guy, "run for ur dear life",lol. At least if he was broke and lovely, he wouldn't even have featured here in the first place & we would understand and be warm towards him..
There's a fine line btw being a broke ass & being broke ass jerk & this guy certainly took the biscuit..

soupasexy said...

me spender ke..his head is not correct at all. kosi owo.lol
wow, that was mean of the guy..depends tho..did u have sexual relations with him?

nice blog!

Figurella said...

Soupasexy in the words of Bill Clinton, "I did not have sexual relations with that man!" LOL.....

Dreamgirl u r right that men tell us what the situation really is. Sometimes they don't say it in words, they say it thru their lack of action or presence in situations when you really need them. He was a frog cos he was misleading but then again I thank him oo cos there is so much of paying for a guy I can tolerate :-)

Anonymous said...

@ dreamgirl you hit the nail right on the head.thank you for telling the home truth in plain english and pointing out its not all about material stuff.

@ figurella dont ever spend money on a guy if its just to keep the relationship on steady grounds. Thats a sign of low self esteem. Only spend cos its something you want to do wholeheartedly and if it all went bust tommorrow, you wont kick yourself for doing so

Anonymous said...

Dreamgirl has a very valid point...there's nothing wrong with goin halves/paying for things.....jus as long as its not all the time.

As for Music guy...im wondering if the fact that you were payin for things wasnt an issue until he decided he couldnt commit. i dnt kno how long u 'perceived to be in a relationship' for, but it couldnt hav been too much of a problem then cos u stayed with it...or do u think it was ur mutual love of music that clouded your judgement?

Anonymous said...

i went to Lagos 6 times btw August last yr and janurary 08... and refund wat!!!!! he always promised to repay but it probably just slipped his mind.. everytime!!! at first it was fun shopping for my boyfriend and den i started realizing he was only wit me to see wat he could get. and it became more obvious. my friends were so jealous of our relationship thinking everything was perfect they didnt know i was crying inside. well i'm glad i didnt have 2 wait 4 d worst to happen before i realized wat kind of person he was.

Figurella said...

Ara: the times I have spent money on any guy is out of mere kindness. Some friends say I can be kind to a fault! If I was materialistic I wouldn't have even considered a relationship with him cos he had given me nothing. I believe no condition is permanent so I was willing to wait for his situation to change. O well....

Suga&Spice: It was a friendship that I thot we could build more from. Definitely my Love for music and recording clouded many things.

Anon 12:34:I'm sure u were always looking forward to the good weather in Naija lol. R u saying he didn't fly down 2 visit u at all btwn Aug-Jan 08? Maybe he genuinely couldn't afford you ( probably managing himself suffering from Affluenza) and got greedy along the way when he realised u could afford him.

Anonymous said...

well honestly i was always looking forward 2 spending time wit him but on 1 hand i guess i caused it. i should have put a stop to it as soon as it all started.

Anonymous said...

what!first time on your page!at least ur friends that introduced him to you wouldhave known he was married!!!!

lol at ur comment to soupasexy "i did not have sexual relations with that man"...Bill clinton o!

Figurella said...

Pink-satin welcome, I'm honoured that u stopped by. Have you never seen boyz cover up for each other?

When I confronted my family friend, he said that he had zero clue that he was to be married and only found out when I did. Apparently he wasn't even invited for the wedding as it was a small event. Heaven only knows...

kuesooM said...

Unfortunately, I have been there too many times....
1)Paid for an ex to do his MBA (he's in the UK) and I'm in the US....forex sure killed me
2)Just like anon 16.12, I flew to the UK every other month, to maintain the relationship...all on my $
2)Bought a different ex a car..

I thank God, that all that is behind me, and the truth is there are always signs...

Anonymous said...

Kuesoom.... damn girl!!! u must be making proper cheddar. lol. but girl u know something, we shouldnt count everything we've done for these men cos we probably wanted 2 spoil dem at some point. the only sad thing is dey started getting 2 used 2 it. babes i wont say i regret any of d things i did while i was with my ex but everytime he sees me now, he can only see wat he could have had. if we r single wit alot of money dey say we r high maintanance, if we r single and broke dey say we r gold diggers. but i thank God i'm single and happy and i can treat myself to any expensive item without any man. so call me watever, but nigga u aint getting my money!!

NaijaScorpio said...

Wow....... I've been there b4. I was bank account plus driver and the minute his baby mama wanted him back i was dumped majorly. This was after he had sworn up and down that he was totally done with his child's mother.

Anonymous said...

MORE STORIESSSSSSS..WHERE ARE U FIGURELLA

Flourishing Florida said...

i've never bankrolled a relationship b4. my mama warned me abt it early enof. i suppose am one of these chicks dudes call materialistic igbo babe, but i no care. he is d man, let he spend d money!!!! until am his wife/fiancee wen i can take up those responsibility.

Unbiased said...

Blogville idols is on. (Link up through clicking the picture on the right of my page).
Please vote and support me. I need it bad.

Anonymous said...

Hey figurella,

it's been a while u updated ur blog... hope you are okay.

Just checking
xxx

Anonymous said...

hi 2 ye al,checkin ur blog 4 d first time n i must say its quit hilarious.ave laughed my heart out.
i feel ye al n i can say ave bin dere but didnt overdraw my account.guess i got lucky cos i realised early enof.

but really,its not such a big deal 2 spend on sm1 u care so much abt n u probably assumed he also care abt u,i guess 1 is clouded by 1s feelins dat u wnt see it comin.
but wt can we do?men r devils u can't live with neither can u live without them.

NoLimit said...

OMG! even a broke ass dude can play!
Wonders shall never end...
To be honest the highest form of spending I've done on a guy is to probably cook for him in my house...and once I know you're a user...you're not getting even a drop of water from me!
When going out on a date...I wld rather go dutch or he pays the bill...there's no way I'm paying a dime extra...hell to da naw!lol...call me a meanie but I learnt from other people's experience ages ago and made up my mind never to be a statistic...gosh some guys are just rogues!
Great post...first time here:)

Anonymous said...

Babes, did u die? Pls just drop a word here and say something, maybe u got married, buddy or..........for d past five years, I come to dis blog